Golden hour at Seward Park
You may have noticed I tweaked my name recently. Those of you who remember my DJ days will recognize the name Misha. Well, I'm bringing Misha back! You can call me Misha or Michelle, just as long as you call me...
I've been playing around with moiré patterns lately. I came across this by accident when I laser-cut two designs with thin lines. When I overlapped those designs I noticed a trippy effect happening. I even made a TikTok video to show off the results.
- While doing some research on moiré, I discovered artist Takahiro Kurashima who does some amazing things with moiré patterns. I picked up his books
Moirémotionand Poemotion 3. They both include a lined transparency that you slide over the artwork to reveal the moiré magic.
- Here's a cute video of one of his moiré books in action.
- Another artist who piqued my interest this month is glass sculpture artist Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian. Her glass pieces are stunning and were inspired by a visit to the Shah Cheragh Mosque in Iran.
- I also found out about geometric artist Louis Reith from the newly revived The Fox is Black newsletter.
- I loved the book
Rangewhich makes a convincing argument for the advantage of a late start in life. A good example of this is Van Gogh who had no less than five careers before he picked up painting later in life.
Nomadlandis such a beautiful film and story. There needs to be more films about independent women in the second half of life.
Lady and the Daleis a wild story about a trans woman who starts her own car company in the 70s.
Slim Aarons: the High Lifeis about a man who took beautiful photos of beautiful people from the 50s to the 80s and how he worked his way into their exclusive world.
- Do you remember the 90s indie show
Fishing with John? Painting with John is great too.
Learning itself is best done slowly to accumulate lasting knowledge...the most effective learning looks inefficient.
Creativity may be difficult to nurture but it is easy to thwart.
Want this delivered directly to your inbox? Subscribe to my newsletter.